4. november 2011

Another medium format pick-up





A little update on my medium format adventure.

This time, I've gotten hold of a Mamiya RZ67 pro II.
I got it for a very nice price as well, with two lenses, one 50mm and one 110mm. (in 35mm terms, this is comparable to a 24mm lens and a 55mm lens)

Compared to the Hasselblad 503CW, the Mamiya RZ67 is one massive bugger and I loooooove it =D
The Mamiya shoots in 6*7 format, so the negatives are a little bigger than the Hassy negs. Still, it's almost square, the huge mirror and view-finder are something to behold as well.

Because the negs are bigger than the Hasselblad, you only get 10 frames per film, compared to 12 with the Hasselblad.

Check this photo as a reference on how bulky and big that camera is (external link):



I also got a nice carrying bag with the camera, a small Seconic l-208 incident/reflected light meter and a remote shutter release, oh an also some film! (Tri-x 320 and Velvia 50), basically all I needed to just go out and shoot, which I did. =D (after spending two days browsing the user manual and checking out youtube)

First trip, I loaded the camera with some (verified to be good) film: Fuji Acros 100 ISO, which I later developed in Rodinal 1:50.
I got to test both lenses with this film and I am very impressed with the image quality.

Here are some samples from my trip, it was mostly for shooting up a roll, test the camera and meter the light correctly and off course, to check the results. Aesthetics was somewhat downplayed, sorry for boring subjects. ^^


Restored old farm, tourist spot mainly, Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal 1:50, Mamiya 110mm lens
Field, Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal 1:50, Mamiya 50mm, 3-stop ND-grad, 2-stop polarizer
Hooorzzzie, Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal 1:50, Mamiya 110mm lens

The second outing was last Sunday, I drove like crazy to reach the islands of Hvaler before the sun went down.

The camera was loaded with Kodak Tri-X 320 the former day, so once I reached the island area, I fired off 10 frames of that first (I wanted to develop and check that particular film, as I've heard so much about it from the older guys).

After that, I loaded the camera with one of the (expired) Velvia 50 rolls I got with the camera.

Metering was difficult, because I was short on time and I also used a combination of a 2-stop polarizer and 3 stops of grad-filters. Moving from ISO 320 down to ISO 50, while trying to calculate everything in your head AND having the wind blowing and sun disappearing, made for some funny math out there I can tell you :P

I kind of knew that the Velvias would be underexposed, because I almost guestimated the exposure-time, but I forgot to take Reciprocity failure factor into account, which, for Velvia means that when you are looking at measured exposure around 15 seconds, you almost need to double that to get the correct exposure for the film.

A table showing measured vs correct values can be seen here:

Ah....well, I'll get it right the next time around, cheesy sunsets happens every single day, luckily :)

First a Tri-X 320 shot with the 50mm lens:

Sea-scape, Kodak Tri-x in Tetenal Ultrafin 1:20 for 4 minutes, Mamiya 50mm lens, 3 stop ND-grad, 2 stop Polarizer
After changing film in the film back, I fired of a shot with the camera in just about the same position, too bad it was under-exposed though and the grad-filters were too low, I think it was like a 5 second exposure :)
Sea-scape II, Fuji Velvia 50 ASA, Mamiya 50mm lens, 3 stop ND-grad, 2 stop Polarizer
This last shot came out the way I wanted it to, I like the coolish magenta cast.
Sea-scape III, Fuji Velvia 50 ASA, Mamiya 50mm lens, 3 stop ND-grad, 2 stop Polarizer, 25 second exposure

All in all, I really like the Mamiya camera, this will definately be my landscape mainstay, while the Hasselblad will serve more for model-photography, a little landscape and this and that.
- Both cameras will see action in the studio and I am looking forward trying them out in that context.

Funny thing about the RZ67 is that, to get mirror lockup with bulb exposure, you need TWO remote triggers, one to flip up the massive mirror and another to fire the shutter on the lens, looks kinda funny.

Oh, the Velvia shots are developed at Labdoka in Oslo, I urge anyone with the need to develop 120 film to visit this guy, prices are reasonable and delivery is fast.
He sells films, developers, fixers and stuff too and he is also a nice and helpful guy, so you can ask and get tips and pointers for films and equipment etc, reccomended. =)

Time to finish work soon, so I can play some more with my new toys this weekend \o/


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar