27. februar 2012

Locked station makes for fun nursing home

Went for a little urbex trip on Sunday. ^^

I originally wanted to visit an old abandoned electrical station on this trip. I got a tip on that site 2 years ago, but never got around to check it out.

Unfortunately, when I got there, the station was locked (actually it was welled shut!). But at least I got to see it up close and it was damn huge, 3-4 floors at least!

I did snap some photos, but they were detail shots of the exterior and such, so nothing interesting urbex-wise.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed about the locked power station, especially after driving that far, I really didn't want to drive all the way back without photographing something cool.

So, after checking the the net, (while eating some lunch in my car ^^), I got a tip about a nursing home that was in the area, so after a little more research and googeling, off I went! \o/

I checked the door at the front desk when I got to the nursing home and, to my surprise, it was open.

"Hi, just looking" ^^

I decided to shoot all-film this time, using my Mamiya 6*7 and 120 black and white film.(10 shots per roll)
I used two films, Fuji Acros 100 (which I love) and a new one, for me; Ilford FP4+ 125 ISO, which I decided to push to ISO 200 on this occasion.

I scanned the pushed Ilford film after development and then created some tonemapped HDR photos of those in Photoshop.

I think I got one hell of a gritty feeling from these, too bad I cannot replicate this stuff in the darkroom with the enlarger and paper...


"Very special letters" Mamiya RZ 6*7 Pro II, Ilford FP4+ @ 200, Tetenal ultrafin 1:20 14 min. Scanned, tonamapped
"Crooked canopy-room" Mamiya RZ 6*7 Pro II, Ilford FP4+ @ 200, Tetenal ultrafin 1:20 14 min. Scanned, tonamapped
"Some punk's getting 7 years of bad luck" Mamiya RZ 6*7 Pro II, Ilford FP4+ @ 200, Tetenal ultrafin 1:20 14 min. Scanned, tonamapped

"Washy-washy no more" Mamiya RZ 6*7 Pro II, Ilford FP4+ @ 200, Tetenal ultrafin 1:20 14 min. Scanned, tonamapped

The nursing home was more wrecked by vandalism than regular decay. (luckily no graffiti crap).
All (well, 90%) the windows are still unbroken, so the weather and rain is kept out, delaying the inevitable decaying process. The fairly large building had three floors and loads of rooms to explore, I only explored one "wing" and two floors before running out of film ^^

Let's hope it can stand around for a few more years and it will become a real bad-ass horror-house for sure.

The Acros, with the shots of the exterior of the power station and additional shots of the nursing home, is not yet developed.
I'll develop the Acros at a later date.
The Mamiya isn't extremely suited for this kind of stuff, it's just too heavy and big, so I think I'll head back at a later date and shoot some photos with my "nimble" 1ds mk II as well. ^^

Please do not bother to ask where these locations are, because I'm not telling.
Just do some research and you'll eventually find the information out there.

Peace out ^^

2 kommentarer:

  1. Nice shots from this place! Difficult to find things to photograph here.. Lots of empty rooms and corridors. Did you find the desinfection tubs/baths? There should be two of them.. I only found one.

    SvarSlett
  2. Thanks! Yes, I found one of them, actually it was the first room after I had shot the last frame of film (haha the irony), looked really cool. :)

    Mostly empty indeed, but I saw several rooms with interesting (or, very bad taste) wallpapers. Plan is to go back and shoot those, to be used in various other projects later. :)

    SvarSlett