19. november 2013

The Mermaid

In mid July, I went to Hvaler to shoot and stumbled over a genuine mermaid, resting on the rocks.

Seriously....! Look!


Mermaid
Model: Lene W
Canon 5d mk III
Canon 24-105 F4 L
Circular polarizer
=)

Kidding aside; I went to Hvaler with Lene W, to have a mermaid-themed shoot, as she had a 32 pound(!) mermaid-tail in her possession. I got to know her trough our workshops at studio B-17 earlier in the summer. This shoot, was a fun-shoot we did outside of the workshops.

Hvaler is a good drive from Oslo, but time was good, as I wanted to shoot at around sunset and in the summer, the sunset is very late in the evenings. I knew the lower light-levels would help me get some moody blurring of the moving water around the model.

The weather was "ok"; Overcast, a little windy, but not particularly cold. The water was also warm enough, so I was able to wade out and shoot quite comfortably, while being up to my thighs in sea-water.

- Naturally I was pretty paranoid about my equipment, moving slowly and taking great care not to slip and fall.

Mermaid
Model: Lene W
Canon 5d mk III
Canon 24-105 F4 L
Circular polarizer
I found out that my speed-lights were greatly underpowered in these conditions too; I planned the shoot like I would shoot my typical land/sea-scape photos, meaning that I used a small aperture (f16) low ISO (50-100), a polarizing filter (which takes away 2 stops alone) and a remote trigger for the camera.

The speed-lights were placed on dry land, a few meters away from the model, and was meant to accentuate her mostly from the side, simulating a low, under-the-clouds horizon-sun.

Alas though, the speed-lights, even on full setting, almost didn't make any impact on the shots at all. :)

Still, it was enough to create some shaping under the very diffused light in the general scene.

- I have since bought the Vagabond mini battery pack from Paul C Buff, which will enable me to use my Alien Bees on location instead, they would have been more than enough in a situation like this.

Mermaid
Model: Lene W
Canon 5d mk III
Canon 24-105 F4 L
Circular polarizer


This was a challenge for me as well as the model. The greatest challenge for the model, was that she had to keep totally still for 2-6 seconds, depending on the fading light. I really wanted the blurring from the moving water in the shots, without it, I think the shots would have had much less impact and mystique.

This may have been a bit difficult for the model though, so we didn't get all that many keepers in the end, unfortunately. No wonder, sitting almost naked on a small rock while the wind did it's magic, isn't exactly a comfortable situation.  ^^

However, the shots that were good technically, were also very nice overall imo.
So all in all, we ended up with a few good shots and some that were acceptable regarding technical quality.

Great experience, I would really like to experiment more, using this concept next summer.
- Finding a model, willing to freeze her butt off, can be a challenge though :)

In other news; I am currently looking for a new apartment in Oslo, planning to have a new place before Christmas. In that respect, studio-shoots will be halted until further notice, hopefully I will find a place which allow me to shoot at home, like I do now. (but you never know!).

Crossing fingers :)

Regards ^^

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar