17. november 2014

Fia in the rain

Fia Rouge....wow, the name sounds like it comes from an action/adventure movie or a Bond-movie with a female villain running the show ^^

Though, Fia is a very calm, friendly 19 year old, with a very unique style ^^

I had messaged with Fia back and fourth a little on Modelmayhem in June, but due to messy planning on my part, I kind of fumbled and never got round to actually book a shoot-date before holiday-time struck the country.

- So the summer more or less went, before we finally hooked up. ^^

In the end though, we managed to do a meet-and-greet-shoot in Frognerparken in Oslo at the very end of August.

- I like to start there, or in a public setting with models that I have no previous experience with. It's just less pressure and a better setting to relax for both parts in, I think.

Cute pose

We started with some poses while the sun was shining, the warmth caused me to sweat too much for my own liking, as usual! =D

Long-haired vamp


I tried to vary the setting as much as possible and used various bushes and paths in the park for effect and mood.


Park-trail catwalk

Stopped pose


Stockings and look


Then, as we got to the great monolith monument, the northern sky turned pitch black, a wall of rain was heading our way, and fast!
Lingering storm


Luckily I had my umbrella with me, and I also had a few plastic bags in my kit (hey, I like to be prepared for anything).

So, I covered up most of my gear, gave Fia the umbrella and stripped my setup to the very basic (camera, the Canon 70-200 and a mounted Speedlight 580EX II, all weather-sealed).

I put a clear bag, meant for bread over my 70-200, strapped the end around my camera, opened the end at the tip of the lens, and secured that with my lens-shade for extra protection.

Just in time, the downpour started just as we got everything safely covered.

I did some extra processing on these, to create vintage and slightly cross-processed/tinted look to the shots, to add to the atmosphere.


Sweet downpour

Glancing



I ended up ditching my 580EX II after a while, because I quickly saw that the flash was accentuating the rain too much, and continued to use natural light only (knew I had to adjust the shots in post anyway, the only addition without the flash. would be adding some fill-light).

Here are two really in-control poses and scenes that I really liked a lot from this shoot.





Much better-looking rain without the flash, the flash tend to freeze the drops, as well as being reflected back in an unnatural way.

The intensity of the downpour changed almost from second to second, from super-saturated showers, to lighter rain and back to drenching showers again. ^^

The cool thing about this incident, was that the park got completely deserted, people ran like mad chickens. (If I didn't know better, I'd say that there was pure acid coming down, based on the panic in the park lol).

I myself, got soaked, but didn't mind.

The next two shots are a bit more romantic in the mood, striking eyes in the second shot.







It was worth it and the rain was pretty warm anyway, and I was too heated from the ongoing shoot, so the rain was simply just nice. =)

I think Fia escaped quite dry and not too cold, she did a really bang-up job, looking relaxed, sexy and collected while the whole world was falling down form the sky, the shots came out great!

These final two shots, are processed, to create a quite dramatic '300' kind of look, very punchy skies, check out how the rain was really hammering the ground on the first shot, almost creating a mist on the ground.




Who's the boss?

After the rain had subsided, I decided to call it quits. The camera and lens, even though it was pretty well protected, did get some water and I didn't want to push my luck too far...!

- Even though my camera and lens is supposed to handle a bit of water, you're not supposed to keep going with wet equipment. It's sealed so you may quickly wrap up a shoot, get into cover or not loose your equipment due an accidental splash or two.

I hope to shoot with Fia again, perhaps in a dry and warm studio-setting?


Possibly working on a interesting concept together, while she is still in Norway ^_ ^

You can visit Fia on these links, both on facebook and modelmayhem.com :)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar