15. januar 2013

Dogs and cats in Turkey

Temple of Appollo
Canon 1v, Fuji Neopan Acros 35mm EI100 in Rodinal 1:50
In August (2012 :P), I went for a two week holiday with the rest of the family to Turkey.
We rented a bungalow (with pool!) at the outskirts of the town of Side in Turkey.


For the trip, I decided to bring mostly film-based photographic equipment, namely my Canon 1v with a couple of lenses and my Hasselblad 503CW with the 80mm and the 160mm lenses.


This was "all in or all out" concerning the 'blad', because I had been struggling getting stuff in focus for a while, lacking the technique.
I'd noticed that I used it less because of this, preferring my easy-focusing Mamiya RZ67 II and we can't have any of that, so use it or loose it!

Luckily, I had a break-trough concerning the focusing technique with the 'blad', so in retrospect, it really helped a lot to bring it and use it on harder-to-hit targets, like cats and dogs.

My choice of films for the trip consisted of:

35mm: Fuji Provia 100 (expired), Fuji Neopan 400 and Fuji Neopan Acros 100.
120: Kodak Porta 160VC (expired), Kodak Tri-X 400 and Fuji Neopan Acros 100.

Kind of similar setup in the two formats, concerning look and feel. (funny that the two color films were both expired ^^ ).
Kodak Tri-X and Neopan 400 is quite similar, but if Neopan 400 120 wasn't canceled by stupid Fuji was available in 120, I would use it over Tri-X any day of the week.

Drinking cat
Canon 1v with Canon 85mm f1.8, Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal 1:50

I dig the tonality of Neopan 100 in Rodinal 1:50, this is shot at EI 100, the print looks beautiful.

The following cat and dog-shots were shot with my Canon 1v and Neopan 400 35mm, then later developed in HC-110 dilution B. The only thing I DON'T like with these is the enhanced grain apearance that my Nikon coolscan V tend to give, the darkoom prints don't have this apearance:


Tough-guy
Canon 1v with Canon 85mm f1.8, Fuji Neopan 400 in HC-110 B

Pup
Canon 1v with Canon 50mm f1.4, Fuji Neopan 400 in HC-110 B

Roxy
Canon 1v with Canon 85mm f1.8, Fuji Neopan 400 in HC-110 B

Play-fighting dogs
Canon 1v with Canon 50mm f1.4, Fuji Neopan 400 in HC-110 B

Sleep where ever
Canon 1v with Canon 85mm f1.8, Fuji Neopan 400 in HC-110 B

Now for the 120 shots I've selected, I opted to shoot stationary subjects for the most part, lots of cats at the pier in Side, so there were many opportunities and subjects to choose from.

I figured out that I could indeed use the matte-screen part of my focusing screen to obtain sharp focus, relying less on the split screen part of it.
This is both faster and easier than spending critical seconds tweaking the focus, to get the split-screen aligned correct on subjects without any good lines to line up. (besides, cats always move somewhat, so placing the split-scren over one eye and try to focus on it, was useless).

Notice the extremely shallow DOF's on these first two shot, done with Hasselblad 503CW the Carl Zeiss Tessar 4,8/160 CB and Fuji Acros at EI 100, later developed in HC-110 dilution B:

Also, I think that these show how much better tonal rendition you actually get with the larger 120 format film:

Pier boss
Hasselblad 503CW with Fuji Acros 100 in HC-110 B

Bandit cat
Hasselblad 503CW with Fuji Acros 100 in HC-110 B

My 400 ISO alternative in 120 (the only one I really like), is Kodak Tri-X, it is quite similar in tonality to Neopan 400, although the Neopan is was a little cleaner and have had a tad more resolution.
Thus, as the afternoon progressed and the light got softer and dimmer, I used Tri-X while walking the old-town, looking for cats and dogs in the narrow streets in Side.


Curious scaredy-kitten in a shoe-shop ^^
Hasselblad 503CW with Kodak Tri-x 400 in HC-110 B

King of the cigar-box
Hasselblad 503CW with Kodak Tri-x 400 in HC-110 B

City dog
Hasselblad 503CW with Kodak Tri-x 400 in HC-110 B

The Fuji Provia 100 shots, were of the family, so I won't put them up on the blog, they were as you would expect from Provia 100 though; Clean, natural colors, perfect saturation etc, basically really really nice.

The Kodak Porta 160VC films, came out very strange for some reason. They looked washed out and overexposed, although I shot the films at EI 160, using my iPhone light meter app to gauge exposure, as I'd done with the rest of my 120-shots.

I think that the lab either processed the films as 100ISO or 400ISO films or something went haywire on these. (nothing important on them though, as I brought the films mainly for testing purposes)

Kodak Porta 160VC, Hasselblad 503CW and Zeiss Planar T 80 mm f 2.8 CF


I was able to save the scans somewhat, by lowering the exposure by about 1 stop, pushing contrast to 100% and fiddle with the white balance and the color channels in Lightroom.
Still.....they don't look quite right. (I had 4 expired rolls from my Hasselblad purchase and decided to shoot up two rolls for the fun of it).

I will experiment more with color films in 120, as I've secured a fresh batch of color films in my freezer, both slides and negative films.
(15 rolls of Kodak Ektar 100, 15 rolls of Fuji Provia 100F, 15 rolls of Fuji Reala and also 5 rolls of Fuji color 400X)

I also brought my handy little digital Fujifilm Finepix F40d compact to Turkey, which I bought in Japan in 2007.
This was for those typical family snaps while out and about, it came in handy several times actually and the small on-board flash also managed to help some nice shots during high noon and sharp sun.  :)

Regards ^^

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar